Parent, Family and Community Involvement
The parents and communities of Carroll County represent a source of support, as well as an important resource for the Carroll County Public School System. Schools, parents and communities must work as knowledgeable partners in the education of all students.
The Board of Education endorses meaningful partnerships among schools, parents, family members and communities and expects parent participation on school system and school committees in order to promote the social, emotional and academic growth of students. The following are standards from the framework for this policy.
- Communication - Open and ongoing, two-way, meaningful communication is promoted among home, school and the community.
- Parenting - Parenting skills are fostered and supported.
- Student Learning - Parents, families, and the community play an integral role in assisting student learning.
- Volunteering - Parents, families, and community members are welcomed in the school system. Their support and assistance are sought, encouraged and recognized.
- Decision Making and Advocacy - Parents, families, and community members are active partners in the decisions at the school and system levels.
- Collaborating with Community - Community resources are used to strengthen schools, families, and student learning.
Adopted by the Board of Education of Carroll County, MD, May 14, 2008.
See the Administrative Regulations for additional information on the implementation of this policy in Carroll County Public Schools.