For ESOL Families

Are you a family member of an ESOL student? Welcome!


We are privileged to serve students from a wide variety of cultures and educational backgrounds.

Here are some common questions that ESOL families have, and resources that you may find helpful.



How can I help my child learn at home?

The #1 way you can help your children learn is to read with them!

A website called Colorin' Colorado has reading ideas for parents in these languages:

English and Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Korean, Navajo, Russian, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.


How can I find age-appropriate entertainment and educational games for my child?

Common Sense Media has in-depth reviews and ideas for kid-appropriate movies, games, apps

websites, TV, and more! They also rate the best apps and websites for learning.

You can also visit the ESOL Resource Center, at Central Office in Westminster. Contact Pam Mesta (info at the bottom of this page) to arrange a visit.  


I need interpretation or translation services. Who do I contact?

Contact Patty Burns, Coordinator of Interpretation Department,

by email at or by phone at 410-386-1699.


I am adopting a child from another country. What do I need to do?

Contact Pam Mesta to discuss the details of your situation.

If you are bringing in a child who is high school age-appropriate (grades 9-12),

the most important information to have is a transcript from their country of origin.


What is “Common Core,” and what does it mean for my child?

Do you want to learn more about Common Core? Here are two good places to start:



How can I learn English?

Carroll Community College has ESOL classes for adultsYou can call them at 410-386-2550. (Se habla español.)

There are also lots of websites and apps where you can practice English.


Do you have another question?

Contact your child’s ESOL teacher at their school! They will be happy to help you.


If you have questions about the ESOL program, you can also contact Pamela Mesta, the ESOL Supervisor, by phone at 410-751-3173 or by email at