Information for Parents

Parent Information

 Enrollment Procedures for New Students

New enrollments require an appointment.  Please contact our registrar Karen Lehr at 410-751-3636 to set up an appointment to register.  Please view enrollment process for more information.

 Dual Enrollment

The dual enrollment program is open to high school juniors and seniors who have a minimum cumulative gpa of 3.0 and qualifying college level placement scores (550-SAT, 21-ACT, or Accuplacer college level placement). The high school counselor and principal mist approve student participation in this program as well as the awarding of high school credit for any course taken. Students must also have maintained 94% attendance, have completed the minimum 75 hours of service learning, and must be enrolled in a total of four credits for the semester.

 To begin the dual enrollment process please schedule an appointment with your student's school counselor. The school counselor will provide additional information with parents and students.

Schedule Change Procedure

Schedule Change Form

  Consistent with Westminster High School’s goal of ensuring that every graduate is college and career ready, students are encouraged to take classes that best prepare them to reach this goal. While there are a number of classes that are required to fulfill graduation requirements, every student has the opportunity to supplement these classes with electives based upon their career goals and personal interests. Students who take the necessary courses to fulfill one of the state-approved completer programs and who take challenging courses from a variety of curricular areas are generally the best prepared for success when they leave high school. Based upon the rationale stated above, the following is a list of common reasons for which a schedule change may be granted. Students requesting a schedule change should be able to answer “Yes” to one or more of the following questions:

1.      Does your schedule show a mod with no class scheduled?
2.      Do you have two classes that meet during the same mod?
3.      Are you academically misplaced in a course? (requires teacher verification)
4.      Are you scheduled for a course without having already passed a prerequisite course?
5.      Are you scheduled into a class that you have already taken and passed?
6.      Are you unable to participate in a course because of physical limitations?
7.      Are you a SENIOR who is not scheduled for a course that is required for graduation?
8.      Does the schedule change increase the rigor of your educational program?
9.      Does the schedule change represent a change of career focus?
Schedule Change Procedures:

1.      A student should identify the reason(s) for the schedule change request from the above list, complete the schedule change request form available in the Counseling Center, and request an appointment with their school counselor.

2.      The counselor will then schedule an appointment with the student to discuss the request. If the requested change is due to academic misplacement, then the counselor will contact the appropriate teacher for his/her input.

3.      If after meeting with the student the counselor approves the schedule change, the counselor will sign the schedule change form and attempt to make the change to the student’s schedule. If the change cannot be made due to the factors listed on the reverse side of this form, the counselor will consider other options with the student, but in some cases, no changes to the student’s schedule will be made. The counselor will notify each teacher that is affected by the change and communicate to the student and the teachers the date that the change will take effect.
Schedule Change Dates and Deadlines:
In order to support the academic success of students, A drop/add or modification period has been established for making any schedule changes. Students who seek a change must make an appointment during or PRIOR to the scheduling change period.
Deadline for Withdrawal:
Quarter courses – Sept. 4, 2015, Nov. 13, 2015, Feb. 5, 2016, April 19, 2016
Semester Courses – Sept. 16, 2015, Feb. 12, 2016
A/B courses – Oct. 1, 2015
*A student who is enrolled in a class after the dates listed above will receive either a withdrawn passing (WP) or withdrawn failing (WF) grade on his/her transcript for the course they are dropping.


 WHS Student Support Programs

WHS offers a lot of supports for our students. Please see Support Programs for Students 2015-16 for our up-to-date list of ongoing supports for our students.   


Maryland Work Permit Process

Step 1:  Complete the  WORK PERMIT at The Department of Labor and Industry

Please note:

Work Permit is for Minors (Age 14-17)

Minors must be offered employment before applying for a work permit.

Work permits are not valid unless signed by the minor, the minor's parents or legal guardian, and the minor's employer.


Application Directions

  • Complete all required information.

  • Print work permit.

  • The minor, a parent/legal guardian, and the employer sign the permit.

  • Once complete, the employer must keep a copy on file for three (3) years.

 Driver Education 

Greg's Driving School holds Driver Education classes at Westminster High School throughout the year after school hours (3:00 - 6:15 PM).  Visit or call 410-871-1550 for more information.  Students may also pick up information in the school counseling office with a schedule of all available classes. (No learner's permit is necessary. Students must be 15 years old)

College Athletic Eligibility

Free NCAA webinar information

 The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has specific guidelines for high school student athletes who wish to be eligible to compete in college athletics.  There are five basic criteria which include:
1. Graduation from high school with 2 foreign/world language credits earned during grades 9 through 12
2. Graduation from high school with mathematics credits through Algebra II/Data Analysis
3. Minimum core grade point average
4. Minimum ACT or SAT test score
5. Completion of 16 core courses

Planning for college and college athletics should begin in grade 9 in order to complete the core courses.  Students should register with the NCAA clearinghouse by the end of their junior year.  See Mr. Minnier or Mr. Byrnes in the School Counseling department for information concerning the specifics of the above criteria.